Wenham Museum and Patton Homestead
The Patton Family Archives are currently kept within the Patton Homestead, a historic 18th-century estate recently gifted to the Town of Hamilton, which is located 2.5 miles from the museum’s primary location. This property was the residence of the Patton family from 1928 to 2012.
General George S. Patton, Jr. and his wife Beatrice Ayer Patton purchased the Homestead to serve as their home in between deployments and for their retirement after World War II. Following General Patton’s death in 1945, the Homestead remained the residence of his widow, Beatrice Ayer Patton, and later his son, Major General George S. Patton and his family. Major General Patton died in 2004. In 2012, his widow, Joanne Holbrook Patton, donated the Homestead and twenty-seven acres of land to the Town of Hamilton, Massachusetts.
Wenham Museum plans to preserve, steward, and exhibit the Archives within the Homestead and its main museum location. Strong collaborations are in place with the Town of Hamilton and its care of the Homestead as it relates to the Patton Archives.
With Special Thanks to Our Lead Supporter:
Thanks to Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts